7.23.2010

Africa.

(pic stolen from the web somewhere...but isn't it great!)

So. In just 3 days I will be Africa bound. Kenya, Tanzania, then ending our trip on Zanzibar for 3 days of fun in the sun (and exploring untouched beaches and native villages on the north side of the island)

We (Me, Kimee and her best friend Dos) along with Kimee's High School basketball coach(and this years national high school basketball coach of the year) Jeff Sink, and about 27 other people are going on a private photographic safari to see the great migration.

Jeff is also a professional wildlife photographer in his spare time, and has had several pictures tour the country. I myself have several of his photos on my walls. He does this tour annually, and for the first time, Kimee and I were able to go, although it's been on our list of things to do since we met sink 15 years ago (15? really? wow.) (I'd post one of his pics, but they are all backed up onto an external drive in prep for taking my laptop with me.)

Anyway.

While I don't have all the professional photographic gear (currently I have my kit lens and a 55-250 zoom) I look forward to having the opportunity to see these magnificent animals in the wild where they belong. I look forward to exploring the villages and learning about the Maasai and Samburu cultures. We are also visiting an elephant orphanage, a school the tour company supports and of course the ubiquitous game drives.

This will be the first time I've been off continent, although I've been to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean, I have actually never left North America!

Our intinerary is crazy busy, I'm surprised Sink remembered to leave time for sleep!

We leave Monday late afternoon from LAX and the have a 15 hour flight to Dubai, where we have an overnight layover. Yes people, DUBAI. No matter how tired I am, I plan on seeing at least some of it! Then we take a 5 hour flight to Nairobi, where we will visit the elephant orphanage, have dinner and spend the night. We won't see Nairobi again for nearly 2 weeks. We will be going to Samburu, Lake Nakuru, and the Maasai Mara (where we will spend 5 days on the great migration) Then back to Nairobi to catch a flight to Zanzibar for 3 days. :)

What a trip. What an opportunity.

I plan on keeping a journal, so when I get back I'll write about it.

See you guys in August!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment